Thursday, November 17, 2011

Miss Moss Presents Diego Bowie

My name is Diego Bowie and I’m a fashion lover, music obsessed creature and performance artist from Panama!


I’m an empirical learner of art and style, experimenting all the time with new pieces, pushing the boundaries of what is “possible” with culture in this city but always keeping one word in mind: freedom. I have worked with a local art platform called Artblock, which has given me the chance to expose my art and also learn more about what a production really is about.


Alter Magnifique – Performance about the influence of media in the human brain, at Artblock.






My style
So-called androgynous and rebellious, in love with the 80’s and Mötley Crüe. Glam rock has defined my appearance; it’s the spirit that I wear inside and out. I like vintage clothes and pieces that have meaning to me and also look great (such as a light blue hippie bag that my grandmother gave me years ago and I like to wear a lot), and modern clothes that can fit in with my day to day. I must admit I seek Tavi Gevinson for inspiration, and I’ve been reading magazines such as Vogue, Interview, Elle, Rolling Stone and locals such as Blank and Hip for a long time (it took me my teenage years to define my style as something that I found truthful and appropriate). “Hedwig and the Angry Inch” can perhaps give you an example.




Icons and Idols
How not to be amused by the glory of Marilyn Monroe? And the perfect choices of Miss Guy? What about the fashion statement that James Dean and Frank Sinatra represent? Let’s mention David Bowie, who represents to me a whole era of transformation for lifestyle. Lou Reed and Iggy Pop are a symbol of inspiration and admiration for my persona. I am fascinated by the way today’s stars are portraying style: powerful and daring women such as Daphne Guinness, Lady Gaga and Lykke Li. The enthusiasm and energy they bring to the industry is all I cherish.


Daphne Guinness


My favorite designers
Jack McCollough and Lazaro Hernandez from Proenza Schouler make me shiver out of excitement everytime I see their work. I have great admiration for designers like Diane von Furstenberg, Jason Wu, Thakoon, Giambattista Valli; classics like Vivienne Westwood and the late Alexander McQueen of course. In addition, I’m a fan of Panamanian designers Josse Karlo, Vergara & Vergara, Greta Bayo and Fernanda Quirós.


Working at Miss Moss
This new journey that I’m starting with Miss Moss, is not only exciting but also empowering, I am hoping to learn so many new things and approaching a whole new world of fashion showcasing. I believe the concept of the next Retro Glam event will bring a fresh start for events in Panama. Casa de la Municipalidad is a breath taking venue, the team is perfectly shaped, and I’m astonished and proud that I’m a part of it.


Photo by Stuart Hooper at “Fabgreen”, my first performance ever, which established that ecology can be glamorous if you want it to be.


Visit my website and follow me on twitter: @diegobowie

No comments:

Post a Comment